We keep talking about Kcal, so before we go on much more about exercise we'll figure out some facts about calories or Kcal from here onwards.
What is a calorie?
It is not a protein, a fat or a carbohydrate! It is a simple measurement. We use it to recognise those foods that contain energy. We often talk about foods that contain 'empty calories' that is they do not contain any of the goodness our bodies need to function well, but lots of sugar and empty energy. They may well be high in calories but low in nutrient rich goodness. We need to use our calorie knowledge to choose foods that are essential for a healthy lifestyle.
Reducing Calorie consumption
If we want to reduce our calorie intake try to follow these simple rules:
· Grill instead of fry
· Use skimmed milk instead of full fat
· Be aware of hidden sources of fat, e.g. pies and pastry
· Remove all visible fat form poultry and meat
· Try to low fat cheeses and spreads
· Eat less beef, lamb and pork which are high in fat
· Reduce the amount of sugar we take in